The Gospel of John 13:18-30 (Did Judas Iscariot betray Jesus?) – Angelic Wars

The Gospel of John 13:18-30 (Did Judas Iscariot betray Jesus?)

In John 13:18-30 we witness the difficult scene of Jesus' betrayal.

18 “I am not referring to all of you; I know those I have chosen. But this is to fulfill this passage of Scripture: ‘He who shared my bread has turned against me.’

19 “I am telling you now before it happens, so that when it does happen you will believe that I am who I am.

20 Very truly I tell you, whoever accepts anyone I send accepts me; and whoever accepts me accepts the one who sent me.”

21 After he had said this, Jesus was troubled in spirit and testified, “Very truly I tell you, one of you is going to betray me.”

22 His disciples stared at one another, at a loss to know which of them he meant.

23 One of them, the disciple whom Jesus loved, was reclining next to him.

24 Simon Peter motioned to this disciple and said, “Ask him which one he means.”

25 Leaning back against Jesus, he asked him, “Lord, who is it?”

26 Jesus answered, “It is the one to whom I will give this piece of bread when I have dipped it in the dish.” Then, dipping the piece of bread, he gave it to Judas, the son of Simon Iscariot.

27 As soon as Judas took the bread, Satan entered into him. So Jesus told him, “What you are about to do, do quickly.”

28 But no one at the meal understood why Jesus said this to him.

29 Since Judas had charge of the money, some thought Jesus was telling him to buy what was needed for the festival or to give something to the poor.

30 As soon as Judas had taken the bread, he went out. And it was night.

Questions for discussion:

1. Jesus recites Scripture to show how it will be fulfilled with “he who shared my bread has turned against me.”  Where is the Scripture that makes this prophecy?
  2. What do you think of “As soon as Judas took the bread, Satan entered into him.”
  3. Why do you think John writes, “And it was night”?

Leave a Comment:

11 comments
Rick says June 16, 2024

Ann Guy says June 17, 2024

1. Psalms 41:9
2.maybe because of his choice (Judas) to take the bread he gave opportunity for satan to enter him! Jesus told them one of them was going to betray him, don’t know if didn’t take the bread someone would have betrayed him because it had to happened in order for him to give His life for us as he told them was going to happen!
3.darkness , night reminds me of things in darkness and satan!

Rick says June 19, 2024

Pretty sharp there, Ann. Your comments are right on. I’m sure your husband, Rich, is proud of you.

Ashaba Timothy says June 17, 2024

Question no:1 jesus recites ascripture to show how it will be fulfilled ” he who shared my bread has turned against me” it is in psalms 41:9-10

Rick says June 25, 2024

Nice quote, Ashaba! We think alike of Jesus quoting Psalms when he informed the Apostles of a traitor.

Ashaba Timothy says June 17, 2024

2; What do you think “as soon as Judas took the bread, Satan entered into him”
Judas sin was secret, the bread of communion becomes for him akind of”Devils mass” and in taking it from jesus hand he commits self -condemning sacrilege , in cor11:27-29,”whoever” therefore eats the bread or drinks the cup of the lord in an unworthy manner will be guilty concerning the blood of the lord.

Rick says June 25, 2024

Wow, a very interesting perspective. I think Paul was referring to those taking Communion, but it is interesting to think he may have been thinking of Judas.

Ashaba Timothy says June 17, 2024

3;; what do you think John writes”And it was night “?
Little children, am still with you a little longer , you will look for me and just as said to the Jews , now I also say to you ” where am going you cannot come”

Rick says June 25, 2024

It looks like you got the idea!

Rick says June 25, 2024

Rick’s thoughts:

1. Jesus recites Scripture to show how it will be fulfilled with “he who shared my bread has turned against me.” Where is the Scripture that makes this prophecy?

As two of the commentators had written, John 13:18 is where Jesus cites the Prophesy, Psalm 41:9 “Even my close friend, someone I trusted, one who shared my bread, has turned against me.”

The taking of the bread was a symbol of Judas making a conscious choice to betray Jesus. Some argue that Judas was “destined” to betray Jesus and did not have a chance to reject his fate. That is wrong and displayed here. Judas could have said, “No” and rejected the bread.

3. Why do you think John writes, “And it was night”?

Again, commentators were on top of this in their responses. “Night” could be an analogy of the current circumstance. It was night for Judas and night for humankind who were about to be responsible for the death of God’s Son.

Ashaba Timothy says June 26, 2024

Glad 😊 for your teachings, God bless you abundantly.

Add Your Reply