The Gospel of John 12:37-50 (Did Jesus say he was God?) – Angelic Wars
Bible Study; Christian Author; Musical Novels; Angelic Wars

The Gospel of John 12:37-50 (Did Jesus say he was God?)

We now finish this chapter of the Gospel of John at 12:37-50.

37 Even after Jesus had performed so many signs in their presence, they still would not believe in him. 38 This was to fulfill the word of Isaiah the prophet:

“Lord, who has believed our message
    and to whom has the arm of the Lord been revealed?”

39 For this reason they could not believe, because, as Isaiah says elsewhere:

40 “He has blinded their eyes
    and hardened their hearts,
so they can neither see with their eyes,
    nor understand with their hearts,
    nor turn—and I would heal them.”

41 Isaiah said this because he saw Jesus’ glory and spoke about him.

42 Yet at the same time many even among the leaders believed in him. But because of the Pharisees they would not openly acknowledge their faith for fear they would be put out of the synagogue; 43 for they loved human praise more than praise from God.

44 Then Jesus cried out, “Whoever believes in me does not believe in me only, but in the one who sent me. 45 The one who looks at me is seeing the one who sent me. 46 I have come into the world as a light, so that no one who believes in me should stay in darkness.

47 “If anyone hears my words but does not keep them, I do not judge that person. For I did not come to judge the world, but to save the world. 48 There is a judge for the one who rejects me and does not accept my words; the very words I have spoken will condemn them at the last day. 49 For I did not speak on my own, but the Father who sent me commanded me to say all that I have spoken. 50 I know that his command leads to eternal life. So whatever I say is just what the Father has told me to say.”

Questions for discussion:

1. Did God “cut off “people to have faith in him by blinding the eyes and hardening their hearts?
  2. Where in this passage is Jesus saying that he is God?
  3. Do you have some people in your life who are blinded to Jesus?  How do you react?

Leave a Comment:

8 comments
Ashaba Timothy says May 27, 2024

Question no 1 , Did God “cut off ” people to have faith him,
Exactly , God cut off people to have more faith in Jesus so that they can neither see with their eyes, nor understand with their hearts, nor turn and that was atactic God used to confirm to people that ” this is the chosen son of God” and he would heal them and keep an ear to his talkings.

Rick says May 31, 2024

Hey Ashaba, Thanks for commenting. Interesting perspective. I will post my comments in a few days and you can respond to those. My question to you is why would God cut off faith to people instead of allowing them to have free will to choose Him?

Ashaba Timothy says May 27, 2024

Question 2 , where’s in this passage is Jesus saying he is God?
It is true that Jesus said the exact words” IAM God” he did , however make the claim to be God in many different ways, and those who heard him knew exactly what he was saying, forexample in john10:30, Jesus said, ”I and the father are one””, the Jews who heard him making that statement knew well that he was claiming to be God , as witnessed by their reaction.” His Jewish opponents picked up stones to stone him” John 10:31, when he asked them why they were after to stone him , they said” for blasphemy, because you amere man, claim to be God”, John 10:33, stoning was the penalty for blasphemy, Leviticus 24:16, and the Jews plainly accused Jesus of claiming to be God.

Rick says May 31, 2024

Hey Ashaba, Yes, your comment about Jesus and the Father being one is powerful. There is a part of this section in the Bible that also speaks to it that I will comment on this weekend. Thanks for commenting!

van says May 31, 2024

question 2: Jesus never said He was God using those exact words. He clearly said He was the Son of God. He inferred that He was God. Show me any verse where He said “I AM God.” I cannot find it so please tell me the verse.

Rick says June 1, 2024

Great answer, Van. My comments later will agree with you. I find it annoying that even an educated “scholars” make this claim that Jesus never said he was God. He said it in ways that the Jewish leaders and their followers would understand.

Rick says June 8, 2024

Rick’s thoughts:

Many things have been written about the phrase, hardening of the heart.” “Hardening of the heart” appears 14 times in the Bible. We blind ourselves and harden our hearts to God when we continuously sin without remorse. God will allow that to happen because He loves us and wants us to make our own choices.

2. Where in this passage is Jesus saying that he is God?

Anytime Jesus compares himself and the Father as the same, he is saying they are one God. A first-born son in the Jewish culture was the heir of his father and would assume all of his father’s power and rights. “Then Jesus cried out, “Whoever believes in me does not believe in me only, but in the one who sent me. The one who looks at me is seeing the one who sent me. I have come into the world as a light, so that no one who believes in me should stay in darkness.” (John 12:44-46)

3. Do you have some people in your life who are blinded to Jesus? How do you react?

My job is to teach, not convert. I take the apologetic approach of defending the faith without being concerned about whether people are converted by my words. The conviction of people’s hearts belongs to God’s Holy Spirit. It is God’s Holy Spirit who will change people’s hearts for Jesus.

Ashaba Timothy says June 10, 2024

Thanks 👍 for your interesting answers.

Add Your Reply