The Gospel of John 10:34-42 (Jesus tells the Religious how to judge him as Messiah) – Angelic Wars
Angelic Wars Musical Novels

Finishing up the chapter with John 10:34-42.

34 Jesus answered them, “Is it not written in your Law, ‘I have said you are “gods”’? 35 If he called them ‘gods,’ to whom the word of God came—and Scripture cannot be set aside— 36 what about the one whom the Father set apart as his very own and sent into the world? Why then do you accuse me of blasphemy because I said, ‘I am God’s Son’? 37 Do not believe me unless I do the works of my Father. 38 But if I do them, even though you do not believe me, believe the works, that you may know and understand that the Father is in me, and I in the Father.” 39 Again they tried to seize him, but he escaped their grasp.

40 Then Jesus went back across the Jordan to the place where John had been baptizing in the early days. There he stayed, 41 and many people came to him. They said, “Though John never performed a sign, all that John said about this man was true.” 42 And in that place many believed in Jesus.

Questions for discussion:

1. What did Jesus mean by his response using “gods?”
  2. Do you recall what John the Baptist said on how to prepare the way for Jesus?
  3. Do people try to trap you when you talk about Jesus?

May you feel God’s presence today!

Leave a Comment:

8 comments
van says March 14, 2024

1. psalm 82:6, if god said you are gods, the you are sons of God.
2. make straight the path for Him
3. absolutely

Rick says March 16, 2024

Hey Van,

Thanks for answering. Yes, I agree with your Psalm answer. I always thought it was an interesting Scripture. I agree with the second answer. As far as the “trapping” I find it productive not to get offended or upset, but just to keep a calm mind and answer questions. Sometimes it led to things that were good.

Ashaba timothy says March 15, 2024

Why did Jesus mean by his response using “gods”
Jesus meant that you’re all children of the most high, but you will die like mere mortals , you will fall like every other ruler(psalms82:6-7)

Rick says March 16, 2024

Nice answer.

Ashaba timothy says March 15, 2024

Do you recall what John the Baptist said on how to prepare the way for Jesus?
John appeared preaching in the wilderness of Judea, saying “repent ( change your inner self , your old Way of thinking , regret past sins , live your life in away that proves repentance , seek God’s purpose for your life ) for the kingdom of heaven is near , and here the symbol for repentance was via baptism.

Rick says March 16, 2024

We agree!

Ashaba timothy says March 15, 2024

Do people try to trap you when you about Jesus ?
I think now the world became literate (some) about Genesis of Earth’s creation , there are those who believe and who don’t believe but the bible says anyone who doesn’t believe God has made him out to be aliar because he has not believed the testimony God has given about his son.

Rick says March 26, 2024

Rick’s thoughts:

1. What did Jesus mean by his response using “gods?”

Jesus cites Psalm 82:1-8 where God describes people as “gods” who perform his will, yet they will die as humans. These people are all “sons” of God (Small “s”.) Jesus points out that he is doing things much greater than righteous works by his miracles, which fulfills the role of Messiah. If “gods” is a correct and appropriate description that God gives people who can perform his will, then how can they stone him (Jesus), who is performing miracles for claiming to be the Son of God?

“Repent for the kingdom of heaven has come near. And “prepare the way for the Lord, make straight paths for him.” (Matthew 3:1-3 and quoting Isaiah 40:3) He also hesitated in baptizing Jesus by saying, “I need to be baptized by you, and do you come to me?” (Matthew 3:14)

3. Do people try to trap you when you talk about Jesus?

They used to but because I have spent so many years studying Christian Apologetics, the pushback I get are the same ones–many of those used for over a hundred years. People don’t know their history. On the other hand, I choose my words carefully because if someone is not interested in learning the Word of God, I don’t bother sharing it. It had been just a waste of time.

Add Your Reply