The Gospel of John 10:22-33 (Religious leaders threaten to stone Jesus) – Angelic Wars
Angelic Wars; Christian Author; Christian Fantasy; Musical Novels, Bible Study

The Gospel of John 10:22-33 (Religious leaders threaten to stone Jesus)

Here is the next section takes place in the temple courts in John 10:22-33.

22 Then came the Festival of Dedication at Jerusalem. It was winter, 23 and Jesus was in the temple courts walking in Solomon’s Colonnade. 24 The Jews who were there gathered around him, saying, “How long will you keep us in suspense? If you are the Messiah, tell us plainly.”

25 Jesus answered, “I did tell you, but you do not believe. The works I do in my Father’s name testify about me, 26 but you do not believe because you are not my sheep. 27 My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me. 28 I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; no one will snatch them out of my hand. 29 My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all; no one can snatch them out of my Father’s hand. 30 I and the Father are one.”

31 Again his Jewish opponents picked up stones to stone him, 32 but Jesus said to them, “I have shown you many good works from the Father. For which of these do you stone me?”

33 “We are not stoning you for any good work,” they replied, “but for blasphemy, because you, a mere man, claim to be God.”

Questions for discussion:

1. What is the Jewish Festival of Dedication?
  2. Jesus answered, “I did tell you, but you do not believe. The works I do in my Father’s name testify about me.  When did Jesus tell them he was the Messiah?
  3. How did Jesus' works testify about his proclamation as the Messiah?

Leave a Comment:

12 comments
Ashaba timothy says March 4, 2024

Question one
What is the Jewish festival of dedication?
This is the festival of lights that speaks of God taking the little we have and multiplying it or a time and season for rededication to God where he did miraculous deliverance.

Rick says March 6, 2024

Hey Ashaba,
    Thanks for your great answer. Do you know any practicing Jews in your area of Kabale, Uganda?

Ashaba timothy says March 6, 2024

Festo Kivengere(1919-1988) was a Ugandan Anglican leader sometimes referred to ” billy Graham of Africa” but unfortunately died.

Rick says March 7, 2024

I bet he was a great man.

Ashaba timothy says March 6, 2024

Everywhere you go it’s a must you can find Jews, ( I made a mistake on that reply of festo Kivengere because he was God’s warrior not a Jews)

Rick says March 7, 2024

Got it!

Ashaba timothy says March 4, 2024

When did Jesus tell them he was amessiah?
In john4:26 Jesus reveals himself for the first time and reveals it directly to a woman of rejected people.
In john4:24,25 the woman said, ” I know I know that the messiah is coming, whe he comes he will explain everything to us”.

Rick says March 6, 2024

Nice answers. I’d forgotten about the Samaritan woman.

Ashaba timothy says March 4, 2024

How do works testify this proclamation?
Jesus had the truth in the sense that he communicated to human beings God’s truth that reveals his love and care for them, John 8:40

Rick says March 6, 2024

Ashaba,

I wasn’t clear in my question and will revise it. I meant how did Jesus’ works testify that he was the Messiah. I will comment on it next week. Thanks for answering!

Ashaba timothy says March 6, 2024

Welcome

Rick says March 13, 2024

1. What is the Jewish Festival of Dedication?

The Festival of Dedication, today, is better known as Hanukkah or the Festival of Lights. This winter holiday is an eight-day festival observed starting on the 25th of Kislev, which occurs in late November or December depending on the lunisolar Jewish calendar. During the Feast of Dedication, Jews celebrate the dedication of the second temple as recorded in the books of First and Second Maccabees in the time between the Old and New Testaments. It is a feast commemorating the cleansing of the temple after it was defiled by Antiochus Epiphanes IV.

2. Jesus answered, “I did tell you, but you do not believe. The works I do in my Father’s name testify about me. When did Jesus tell them he was the Messiah?

As stated before, Jesus refers to himself as the “Son of Man” which is directly calls himself the Messiah under the Prophet, Daniel 7:13-14. “I saw in the night visions, and behold, with the clouds of heaven there came one like a son of man, and he came to the Ancient of Days and was presented before him.” The book uses it to refer to the coming divine ruler who will be given authority and a kingdom by God.

Also, in Mark 14:60-64, “60 Then the high priest stood up before them and asked Jesus, “Are you not going to answer? What is this testimony that these men are bringing against you?” 61 But Jesus remained silent and gave no answer. Again the high priest asked him, “Are you the Messiah, the Son of the Blessed One?” 62 “I am,” said Jesus. “And you will see the Son of Man sitting at the right hand of the Mighty One and coming on the clouds of heaven.” 63 The high priest tore his clothes. “Why do we need any more witnesses?” he asked. 64 “You have heard the blasphemy. What do you think?”

3. How did Jesus’ works testify about his proclamation as the Messiah?

Isaiah 35:5 “Then the eyes of the blind will be opened and the ears of the deaf unstopped. Then will the eyes of the blind be opened and the ears of the deaf unstopped. And when he comes, he will open the eyes of the blind and unplug the ears of the deaf. Then the eyes of the blind will be opened and the ears of the deaf unstopped.”

Add Your Reply